Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Sidewalks

We ought to pay attention to our sidewalks. If you are willing to just take the time and effort and look around the sidewalks while you are, let say, walking home, then you will find some interesting things that you might not have seen if you have just treated your sidewalk as something you mindless walk on and about. Today, for example, I saw the typical things - candy wrappers, tissues, cigarette butts, pebbles and rocks; but I also saw something more bizarre - actual candy, burnt out pine-cones (or maybe it was really really soaked), and even a baby underwear (with little bears on it). These things have always been there, but it is a matter of whether we allow ourselves to open up our own being to the being of these things: these beings, like us human beings, are/have no "essences"; rather they are "becoming", constantly striving to become away from nothingness. I cannot stress enough of how often do we immerse ourselves in a stream of everyday-busyness, and fail to stop and take a look at the things surrounding us on the banks of Being. So next time (whenever that is) you're walking home (I know we all tend to drive home these days), if you are not in deep thought, I hope you can remember my little blog, and look around your sidewalk: something is waiting for you to acknowledge its presence, just as how your presence is acknowledged by the objects you see on your sidewalk.

*Afterword*

It is truly ironic that while I saw the little things on the side walk, I have failed to see the big garbage bin on my driveway - my mother, when I was stepping into the house, asked me, "did you pick up the garbage bin?"

I innocently replied, "What garbage bin?"

1 Comments:

Blogger Minch said...

Sounds just like you... very absented minded. And wat's UNDERWEAR doing there? Anihow... it's a cute little blog :)

11:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home